The Parent Academy is a series of sessions in which Hempstead ISD will work with parents, to provide information about our district and community.
There will be 7 sessions throughout the year, plus an award ceremony:
- Wednesday October 13thth 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- Introduction and How can I be informed using Parent Portal and joining districts' social media
- Wednesday November 10th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- What is the mission and vision of Hempstead ISD?
- What is MAP, STAAR and TELPAS?
- Wednesday January 12th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- What is the student handbook and code of conduct? Highlight the most important aspects as well as confidentiality etc.
- Thursday February 10th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- What are Special Programs? Bilingual, ESL, Dyslexia, GT, CTE
- Wednesday March 9th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- What is Special Education? Who qualifies? What do I do if I have concerns? Child Find?
- Wednesday April 6th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- What community services do we have in Waller County? Clinics, vaccinations, dentist, insurance, eye exams, etc.
- Wednesday, May 11th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- End of year information, summer school, new student registration, select your award (gift) etc.
- Award ceremony is Friday May 20th 5:00 - 6:00
Parents will receive a gift (there will be gifts depending on how many sessions a parent attends) plus a certificate of completion of the Academy.
The Parent Academy will take place at Bobcat Den, we will provide free child care and snacks. The sessions will be in English and Spanish.